So I had a marvelous idea late last night as I drifted off to sleep.
I need to wake up.
Maybe not at that exact moment, seeing as I was just drifting off to sleep for the night… but I need to wake up in life. How many of us are sleep walking through life? I’ve been quietly observing myself the past few weeks and I have found that my mind has constantly been buzzing with the same thoughts: I’m so bored. I don’t have enough friends anymore. She’s gone and now I don’t have anyone. There’s nothing to do. I don’t know how to move on from this.
I’m the only one keeping myself from moving on. I’m not being myself right now. I’m allowing myself to stagnate. So I’m bouncing back. I’m reminding myself of who I am. I’ll start with the things that I know for sure about myself and go from there. What do I know for sure? Well, I know that I love learning new things. I like helping people. I like doing things that make me feel good mentally, physically and soulfully. So, let’s start there.
2012 New Year Resolution Goals
- Learning New Things. I should do just that. Time to bust out the local newspaper (or go online) and look up random classes. Doesn’t matter what it is, really. I need to go out there and just start taking as many different classes as possible. Who knows what I’ll find. Also… who knows who I’ll find. First thing on the list is a concealed weapon permit class. On Groupon for $35. Random. Fun. Bought!
- Helping People. I’ve always wanted to volunteer but I never really have. Now’s the time to join a bunch of volunteering opportunities and give back. There are so many people/organizations that truly need help. I found an awesome group called Friends of Trees, full of lovely people who plant trees all around the city of Portland. How awesome is that?
- Mental Stimulation. Reading. I’ve been reading a lot lately and have been really enjoying it. Lately I’ve been reading The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. Fun read! I’ve also been reading a lot of self development and spiritual texts. It never fails to brighten my spirit and mood.
- Physical Improvements. First off, I need to take better care of myself. Raw food needs to be more prominent in my life again. I don’t think I’ll go full 100% again, but I definitely need more of it in my life. I’ve taken the first step and have finally replaced the Vitamix she took with her. Got myself a Blendtec. Figured I’d try something new as I’ve had 3 Vitamixes already. I also need to start doing something. It’s cold outside, but I don’t want to end up staying inside hibernating. I live super close to a gigantic park – might as well take advantage of it! Not to mention I could also do something warmer in the comfort of my own home - like yoga.
- Helping the Soul. This one is interesting. What helps the soul? Good friends and connecting with people on a deep level seems like a good answer. Most of my friends live in different states at the moment. I haven’t really made deep connections with anyone in Portland quite yet. Time to change that.
- Making Friends. Lately I’ve been having trouble with this one. I’m usually very outgoing and friendly, but I’ve been letting myself become too introverted while I coped with the break up. I had to work on myself first for a couple months, but I think I’m ready to spring back. Been searching MeetUp.org for fun local groups. Some of them seem promising. Other than that, I plan to just show up randomly in the city and just talk to people.
So those are my goals for the coming months. Early 2012 New Year resolutions. Decided to keep a blog as it keeps me accountable. It’s easy to give up if it seems like no one is paying attention. I know from experience this truly helps. My 30 day raw food experiment was a breeze because I had this website. This is next.
What are your goals for the new year?
No related posts.